Bill Hughes is instrumental in creating, leading, and shaping the strategic direction of MorganFranklin's government sector activities, including client service, business development, practice development, service offering, and practice operations. He possesses more than 23 years of professional services experience conducting external audit, audit readiness, internal control, financial management, and consulting engagements.
A recognized leader in his field, Bill was appointed to the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) Green Book Advisory Council (GBAC) in May 2013 for a two-year term to share his expertise and insight to revise and update GAO's Standards for Internal Control in the Federal Government. Bill has led large teams on high-profile, complex multinational federal and commercial projects involving federal (CFO Act) and commercial audits, SOX/OMB No. A-123, COSO/GAO Green Book, GAO FAM/FISCAM, GAO Yellow Book (GAGAS), FFMIA, FMFIA, and other OMB, GAO, FASAB, and AICPA regulations.
Prior to joining MorganFranklin, Bill served for more than 10 years with PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, where he led various CFO Act audit, audit readiness, and A-123 projects. He also served as lead program director for the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) OMB A-123 SOX engagement and the Department of Defense (DoD) Office of Inspector General (OIG) audit readiness program.
"We're all taxpayers. We're all Americans. And we see how our military and federal officials serve the government and advance the mission. I have a unique opportunity to work hand in hand with government clients by being part of that environment and culture—helping all of us as citizens of the United States to advance the mission and add value to the leadership of each organization, department, agency, or client."
- Commercial & Federal CFO Act Audit
- Federal Financial Management
- OMB A-123 & Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) Internal Controls
- GAO Green Book
- Governance, Risk & Compliance (GRC)
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Business Process Improvement
- Risk & Compliance
- Security & Data Management
- U.S. Federal Government
- Government Contracting
- Information Communications
- Consumer Products
- C-SPAN | AICPA Conference Panel: Role of Inspector General
- Corporate Compliance Insights | 5 Things to Know When Merging Compliance and Ethics Programs
Memberships & Activities
- U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) Green Book Advisory Council (GBAC), Member
- American Society of Military Comptrollers (ASMC), Member
- New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA), Member
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), Member & 2013 AICPA National Governmental Accounting and Auditing Update Conference (GAAC) Planning Committee Member
- Association of Government Accountants (AGA) Northern Virginia Chapter, Member & Past President
- Federal Accounting Standards Advisory Board (FASAB) Accounting and Audit Policy Committee (AAPC), Past Member
- General Property, Plant, and Equipment Task Force, Past Member
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society National Capital Area Chapter, Board of Trustees & Light the Night Executive Committee Member
- Bachelor of Science: Accounting, Canisius College
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) – New York & Virginia
- Certified Government Financial Manager (CGFM)
- Certified Internal Controls Auditor (CICA)